Thank you for your interest in joining our cold-hardy avocado breeding project!
Before you sign up, you should make sure you have sufficiently low expectations, and that you understand what your membership in the project will entail. Here is a summary:
- The project is open to anyone in USDA growing zone 8b or higher in the lowlands around the Salish Sea or along the oceanside coast of the Olympic Peninsula.
- Trees will be distributed each spring, with most members needing to come to Seattle to pick up your trees (some limited delivery will still be offered).
- We expect a significant percentage of the trees we distribute to die, but we'll replace dead trees in future years.
- You do not need to pay for the tree(s), but members agree that we can take and propagate cuttings from any trees that survive bad winters.
- In order to track the trees in our project, we need each member to post occasional updates to our website on the health and size of their trees.
If that summary leaves you with lingering doubts or questions, feel free to read the long version instead. If you still want to join, please provide your email address to begin the registration process: